Friday, September 23, 2011

Wrote page 200...considering MFA

Well, I finally wrote page 200 in my novel. I started working on this thing probably five years ago, but had to take a break from it when I was going to school.

Having accomplished this, it has made me seriously think about getting a Master in Fine Arts (MFA) in creative writing. It's not like I'm doing anything else interesting in my life. I've been working the same shitty, waiting-to-get-laid-off factory job for the past twelve years. I know my bachelor's in technical writing is worthless (they promote only young people at work), so I might as well pursue something I'm interested in.

Okay, each course will cost about $1200. Maybe I'll just take one or two courses, see if it's worth the money. But still, at least it's a plan.

There can't be too many 44 year-old machinists looking to get into the MFA program. So maybe I can get in on sheer "diversity" alone. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before you jump in, read 100 reasons NOT to go to grad school:

http://100rsns.blogspot.com/

Grad school tends to surprise people (in a bad way).

Kirk said...

Yeah, I might not go the MFA route. Teaching doesn't interest me; I'm just looking for some instruction so my fiction writing will be better.

The school also has a program that parallels the MFA, but doesn't grant the degree. If it's cheaper then I'll probably just go that route.

Also, I suppose I could just go for a bachelor's in creative writing instead. I'm going to have to look into everything before I jump in.