Thursday, August 28, 2008

Confederate Flag


I took about 150 pictures on my commute today. A couple of them show a big confederate flag, flying near the intersection of I-4 and I-75. According to this ABC story, it's something like 50'X30'.

http://a.abcnews.com/US/Story?id=4978568&page=2

I tried to get a shot showing the exit sign for MLK blvd and the flag at the same time, but there wasn't enough wind to really lift the flag to show it. I'm not sure if their proximity is just an accident of the intersection, or some sort of attempt to send a message.

Anyway, I didn't intend to start off the blog with something so contentious, but what the heck. I guess in some ways I'm glad to see the "stars and bars", as it means we haven't become a totally homogenized nation. I've honestly been pleased to see it on bumper stickers, as it means that there is a reason to still travel; everything isn't the same everywhere. However, they fly this flag every day, not just on days related to the Civil War.

What gives? Really?

And honestly, Tampa had pirates for a lot longer than it had Confederates. I say, hoist the skull-and-crossbones!

No comments: