Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day, Last Year

Well, today was my first day of class. First day, in which will probably be my last year. I should have my bachelor's by late April.

My first course, I took in 1987. I took two more, in 1989. I was still in the USN then; college professors actually came on board and taught classes while we were underway in the Med. I'm sure it was an adventure for them, as they got to visit all the places we did (Spain, France, Italy, Egypt, Israel).

It's interesting, that many of the students in my classes today were just getting born around that time. Do they remember when there were no cellphones? How many other ways are their lives different than mine?

Anyway, I had two hours of sleep last night. I went to bed at 2a.m., which is pretty much my normal time. I woke up at four, and couldn't get to sleep again. I left for class at 7:30, and arrived around 9:20. (It's a haul.) I left my second of two classes at 12:15, and was at work by 2:30.

At work, I'm back to running my Universal Automatic Cross Drill, and its accompanying threading machine. I had been assembling power-distrubution units for small jets, but that line has slowed to where there isn't enough work.

Together, my machines make the aluminum fronts of those toggle switches you see in airplane cockpits. The schematic for one of the switch designs is from 1966. The machines I run to make them seem to be from a similar era, as their processes are controlled by a series of relays and timers. Open up the control box and you'll see 12 relays, with about 100 wires going between them. When running, they go "THUNK, THUNK, THUNK, THUNK" in rapid succession, as one relay trips another.

Our older maintenance guys all having retired, I seem to be the only person in the plant who knows how the system works. Good for me! Although I feel unappreciated at work, it's certainly nice to know that I'm good at my job.

Anyway, my miles driven today: 124. (It's a 63 mile one-way trip to class. Forgive me for bragging about making such a commute -- as if blowing $50 in gas a week makes me smart or something. However, I am proud of it.)

My beers for today: 2.

This is my very first ever blog post. Being new to this, I'm not sure how long I'll keep this up. I'll have a lot of reading to do, but will try to keep this blog updated.

In the future, I'll try to post pictures.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Hey, Good Luck! My mom graduated from college about 5 weeks before I graduated from high school, in 1982. Back then there was no such thing as a non-traditional students. You will get a lot more out of college than I did, I'm sure. Good first post, and I hope you keep it up.

Kirk said...

Thanks, Matt. I'll try to post regularly. Being an older student who has a (real) job, and some experience in the military, I think I have a different viewpoint on things than many traditional students. I'm hoping it will provide fodder for a halfway decent blog.

However, homework first! I'm taking Late Shakespeare and Modern Lit. Lotsa reading...