Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Macbeth


Though people often say that it's hard to appreciate Shakespeare unless it's on- stage, I have to say that I've never been able to understand his stuff that way. His language has always been too archaic for me to understand.

That's why I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually understood Macbeth, just from reading it. Yes, nearly every paragraph had multiple footnotes that slowed me down, but it's the explanations that got me through it.

Finally, I understand a play by Shakespeare. I was worried, as this entire course is Shakespeare. I'm relieved.

And of course the play gives me a good tagline for my blog....

1 comment:

Matt said...

That is interesting to hear. I used to be a voracious reader, then I taught a criminal law class to undergraduates at a small college and it was all I could do to read and prepare a chapter a week out of the text. It so killed my enjoyment of reading that for 6 months I read nothing at all, then eased back by reading a Michael Crighton book, and since then have read a few biographies, and some non fiction stuff, but my tolerance is still low.

Having said that, I am reading an hour or two a day, and I have designs to get back to reading useful stuff. Maybe Shakespeare would be good to put on my list. I feel like such an idiot that I have only read a few of his plays when I was forced to in High School.