Sunday, February 22, 2009

Economy as Distraction



Sarasota Campus



Is it just me, or is the economy a bit of a distraction right now? It seems like wherever I go, I'm reminded of it.

Every night when I go to work at my factory job, I have to scrounge for work. My normal area being shut down, I end up having to work in other areas. As others are having to do that as well, it's not going to be too long before they have to start sending people home.

A few weeks ago, I went to get my teeth cleaned. My dental hygenist has had her hours cut. She's working only three days a week now. She pointed out that people put off going to the dentist when they're unemployed.

USF has had its budget cut, something like ten percent. For the first time, I heard about "money being an issue" regarding classes.

It makes it a little tough to pay attention to the materials I'm supposed to be learning in my classes. After all, what does Roman History have to do with making a living?

It reminds me of going through a hurricane. Not so much the wind and all that, but the worrying that goes on for days before. It's very taxing, to be expected to go to work and school while waiting for the hurricane that's projected to hit.
Likewise, it's very tough to carry on like nothing's happening right now.

Surely I'm not the only one who feels like this.

No comments: